Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Vintage French Hen Finds And Projects


HELLO BEAUTIFUL!
Well, My summer break from the preschool is quickly coming to an end. This is my final week off and am finding that some of the projects I had hoped to complete didn't get done! I don't know about you, but when a vacation is involved I think I will get this done, and that done, and before I know it...POOF!
It's time to go back to work, and not that much was completed.
My biggest accomplishment however was finishing my cottage. Or at least the major parts of it. I found a few vintage linens and worked on some crafts that I have been admiring on other blogs too.


I hung this valance above my Army cot. It's suspended by fishing line and curtain rods. The valance is a thrift store 50 cent lace curtain. 



I added one of my coffee filter balls, that was dyed in food coloring. I made about 20 of these for my daughter's baby shower a couple years ago. I just have a few left because I have given so many of them away.


The jars in the window I completed yesterday. They were so easy! Just use clean jars, 1 tsp. mod podge or Elmer's glue, 1 1/2 tsp. water, and a few drops of food coloring. Brush this on with a paint brush and
Viola!

 Love 'em!

My vintage bedding on the cot is a find at a thrift store over in a little beach community I came across a few days ago. It's a 1950's duvet cover. The small flowered pillow was also a thrift store find and I made the long neck roll out of an old Shabby Chic pillow case.



Another thing I'm having fun with are the old lamp shades. I made a canopy to hang above the door inside the cottage, and I discovered at the same time how afraid of heights I am! Not exactly the best time to figure that out...especially when you're on an old rickety ladder! 


 waayyy up there!

Anyways, I'm having fun with the old lamp shades. What do you do with them? 


I really like this one above the hutch, it has scalloped edges. Not sure what I want to do with this one.

Well, thanks for dropping by. I know summer isn't over yet, but once school starts back up it seems like before I know it it's Halloween!



But there are still plenty of gorgeous evenings left here in Northern California to sit under my ruffled canopy and read a good book. It's really just a dust ruffle, I can pick those up for a couple dollars at the thrift store as well. I just staple them up!
I'm linking with....

Sarah for Good Life Wednesday. She's offering an E-course! 

With Kathleen for White Wednesday 


And with Beverly at How Sweet The Sound for a very special Pink Saturday. Please visit Beverly and leave a comment for another miracle makeover!

21 comments:

  1. Beautiful Marcia. I would love to just snuggle up inside there and never come out.

    hugs
    Sissie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love all your ideas and I am going to use a few of them. Love the bottles and the dust ruffle!
    Hugs- Tete

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Marcia,
    I noticed the High School near me starts back today.Summer vacation does fly by...
    I think you have accomplished a lot this summer. All your linen is so beautiful...and what a fun find that pink oven door is, I think I might have been right there with you in the dumpster LOL
    I like the new look of your blog, very pretty.
    I'm thinking of redoing my header.
    Have a sweet day and hugs, Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job. I posted a few weeks ago about making these faux blue ball jars and the post was so well-received. Check it out . . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Marcia! Thanks for stopping by! I adore your cottage....it is like a breath of fresh air....so cozy and inviting. Can I come and stay a week (or a year)? LOL
    Thanks for the blue glass recipe! I have been meaning to look for it. Sounds easier than I had anticipated.....can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! I loved looking through your photos. What a great idea for the dust ruffle! I love your chandelier, so pretty.
    I'm visiting from Faded Charm!

    ~Shanon

    ReplyDelete
  7. So happy I stopped in...what wonderful ideas you are sharing ~ thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. lovely blog! it looks like i will have many ideas for my cottages :) thanks so much for your early support!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your canopy. What a Great Idea.. Looks amazing..
    Your room is just breathtaking.
    Karryann

    ReplyDelete
  10. You made some very nice changes to your cottage.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Things are looking so lovely!

    Thank-you for mentioning Miracle Makeover....

    Hugs!

    Kelee & Charlie

    ReplyDelete
  12. The way you painted the jars is so clever. I must try that. Now tell me - what do you use the cottage for? Guest room, a private hideaway or...?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooohhh your pictures are such great eye-candy!! I love both your canopies & the chandelier...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very pretty and so cozy. Love what you've done to your cottage. Thanks for dropping by Beach Cottage Good Life Wednesdays and joining the party.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Marcia, you have been so busy creating beauty. I love it all.

    Thank you for participating in this very special Pink Saturday. I hope your visitors will come over to comment and help us to raise more money for the next Miracle Makeover. The good news is that you can leave a comment each day through the 18th, and each comment earns $1.00. So, please come comment again and again.

    ReplyDelete
  16. G'day MArcia,
    Love those bottles. So easy a project, so I'm going to see if I can do it & not muff it up.


    Would you be so kind to (& tell your friends) comment on my BLOG ONLY (emails don't count), for the Miracle Makeover fund drive. Charlie, 8 yr. old, & his story are fabulous. Every comment brings us a $1 for the next person that will be sponsored.

    Have a beautiful weekend.
    Hugs,
    TTFN ~
    Marydon
    blushingrosetoo.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Marcia, I just discovered you from Tausha at Simply Me. I have spent some time snooping around your place and love it! I'm a shabby lady also. My booth is called Chic and Shabby...
    Tausha was in the 5th adition of Jeanne d' Arc Living, High Summer.
    Now I'm going to snoop some more!
    Enjoy your day~SueBee

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well dearest Marcia, I am amazed at how much you've accomplished! WOW!!! I love all the details you've done to make that room stunning. Love all the hanging canopies both inside and out! Very sweet and romantic my dear.

    About my mailbox, after I found the graphics from Graphics Fairy, I simply printed it on a clear self-adhesive 8 /12 by 11 label. I bought the labels from Staples. I think there are 10 pages in a carton. Hope this helps.
    -Marie

    ReplyDelete

SWEET FRENCH HEN COMMENTS....I LOVE THEM ALL!

FOR A PEAK IN MY STUDIO GO HERE!

Maggie our bride, with her brother Frankie and sister Sara

Maggie our bride, with her brother Frankie and sister Sara