Friday, September 16, 2011

The Farmer Takes A Wife...

Hello Beautiful!


I thought I would share the story about Us. My hubby and I...
And what he gave up for me.




 


Five years ago, my husband and I were living in a very small farming community. (Population about 50.)  We were also living in a very small house. Since my husband had recently retired from farming, he was open to the idea of moving closer to town which would  be ideal since the closest grocery store was roughly a 30 minute drive. About this same time my husband's sister and her husband had inherited a ranch. They didn't want to sell their home they had been working so hard on renovating, so we asked if we could move in and promised to take extra special care of it! They thought it was a splendid idea, and we have been here ever since.


My In-Laws did such an amazing job on the renovations! Since this home was built around 1900, it was in need of pretty much everything. The appliances, cabinets, floors, paint, electrical, plumbing, you name it. And they did a fabulous job, paying close attention to every detail.


The master bathroom is new. It was the original back porch.


With lovely inspiring ideas from many creative outlets, I feel I am able to create a home that is romantic, comfortable and welcoming for the both of us. Keep in mind, he had never been married, was close to 50 and lived the life of a bachelor FOREVER and wasn't prepared for pink, frilly, foo-foo thingamabobs all over his house.


The once milk house, is now my cottage for guests and creating.




My sister-in-law told me that she met a man a few years back who was in his late 90's and said he was born in our front bedroom!
It's now reserved for guests and Julie Mae.





Moving into town was kind of an adjustment for my retired farmer husband. He dedicated his entire life to the life of a hard working farmer and lived on the same ranch for 50 years. After the two of us got married, a little over six years ago I moved out to the country with him. I was a city girl. As I mentioned above, it was out in the middle of no man's land, and my new digs were very very small in comparison to my old house...and I that's not sayin' much!


Well, what can I say? He loved me and knew I wasn't happy. The view from our home was gorgeous, I had the coastal range right out my backdoor. But the commute out to our little home in the country was a dangerous one, and heavily traveled by commuters to the Bay Area. So when his sister said we could move in I was thrilled but didn't want to appear too anxious to leave his little slice of paradise in the country.



He did this for me. He gave up the quiet life in God's Country, to a busy street in the middle of town, four doors away from a gi-normous shopping center.


So he puts up with the foo-foo thingamabobs and I put up with hours upon hours of  The Golf Channel.
Ahhh Love.

Thanks for stopping by!


I'm linking with

Beverly

Hakan



19 comments:

  1. Too sweet! I love the story, I'm sure you were worth it! Have a great weekend! Hugs Marilou

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's real LOVE for the both of you. Wonderful story.I am going to follow you.
    Now about my photo you asked for on pinterest, I only yesterday found out about pinterest, I mean heard about it but have no idea what it does.Does it get my name? How do I get there? And did you seee my former post with the old blue door? Maybe you like that too.
    Let me know about pinterest ps.OK?
    Riet

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go, Ed!

    (I loved this post, Marcia... you are the sweetest, I could hear your voice on this one).
    xoxo~Tracie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marcia- That is one of the nicest love stories I have heard in a long time! What a special man...and as a farmer's daughter (who also lives a town life) I know what that means to him..or rather how much YOU mean to him.

    I love that he likes golf! Most farmers never have time to golf and know nothing about it. Good for both of you-it sounds like a great compromise! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marcia, Oh, what a great story...sounds like true love! Mumzie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Man, that sounds like a really tough adjustment for him!! I wonder how he is doing it?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh you can tell how much you are enjoying your new home in all the lovely attention to detail with your decorating!! I am sure your hubby is so happy to have found his bride finally that he could care less about foo foo and such- so happy you both found each other!

    bee blessed
    mary

    ReplyDelete
  8. Delightful photos!

    My Share of Pink, have a fabulous weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just like an old romantic western movie where the wife gives the home a"womanly" touch, except for the golf channel! Sounds like a wonderful life.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Marcia
    What a LOVELY Post,,,,,,just amazing,,,,,
    and do not miss......

    S
    A
    T
    U
    R
    D
    A
    Y

    S
    H
    O
    W

    O
    F
    F

    WELCOME :)
    Håakn ( The Roseman)

    ReplyDelete
  11. So glad you found a man who loves you for who you are.

    ReplyDelete
  12. what a sweet story. And you are a lucky girl, he must really love you. I am sure your sister in law is happy to have you in her home....you have made it beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this story, Marcia! You have a real sweetie for a husband and one that truly understands you. Your home is warm and cozy, I fell in love with it. And the little cottage is SO sweet!! Hurray for you!!

    XO,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  14. You lucky thing living in that gorgeous house! And having such a sweet husband too!! I think you're so right - putting up with each other's quirks must be up there as a secret to a happy marriage. Way to go!!

    I've signed up to follow your lovely blog! I love your foo-foo thingummies!!

    Sarahx

    ReplyDelete
  15. HI Marcia. I joined pinterest and put two foto;s of the doors on ir. You
    can take them if you want to.
    Riet

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Marcia,
    I loved your love story...and your Red Cottage is delightful. You have done a wonderful job decorating. I'm wishing for Fall, no more heat.
    Have a sweet day, Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a beautiful love story:) It sounds like you were meant for each other. And your home is gorgeous!
    ~Debra xxx
    Capers of the vintage vixens

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh sister dear....you and Edward were definately made for each other. The two of you are so sweet. Yes, he gave up a lot for you and you for him...but that is what TRUE LOVE is all about.
    P.s. come visit my new blog...hemetvalleydentalcare@blogspot.com
    Love you

    ReplyDelete

SWEET FRENCH HEN COMMENTS....I LOVE THEM ALL!

FOR A PEAK IN MY STUDIO GO HERE!

Maggie our bride, with her brother Frankie and sister Sara

Maggie our bride, with her brother Frankie and sister Sara